Friday 2 May 2014

Nikon D7100 SLR Jacks Review


 Exmoor Photography Gallery and Camera Shop
The High Street, Porlock, Somerset
T: 01643 862026
NIKON D7100
JACKS REVIEW
‘Please note, these reviews are my opinion on the cameras that I stock and sell, the reviews are not meant to be full blown technical reviews and I do not post any test images on line, they are designed to give you some assistance (in laymans terms, as requested by my customers) when choosing a camera that is right for you. I try to keep them as simple and short as possible.
These reviews are the result of requests from my customers.’
THANKS JACK

Build Quality and Design
I have recently changed over to Nikon, having used Canon for several years now, since we went digital, and now have this model a D800 and a D3S. Along with a selection on Nikon N class lenses. The D7100 is a camera that some customers of mine have used on my photography course. I was so impressed that I started looking into and seriously considering making the swap from Canon to Nikon. I was lucky enough to have a customer that bought pretty much all my Canon kit in one go, so my wife is still speaking to me! And it actually cost me very little to change.
Is there anything I miss from my Canon cameras now I am using Nikon? To be honest, no I absolutely love the Nikon gear. Perhaps the only slightly annoying thing with the D7100 is the buffer can fill quickly (RAW) and be a bit slow to clear. However, the D3s does not have this issue at all.
Oh, and before I forget to mention it, make sure you buy a battery grip for the D7100, the grip somewhat surprisingly only holds one battery, however you can leave a battery in the cameras battery bay as well and set the camera to use the grips battery first, then the one ‘in camera’ This is a little strange but not really a big issue for me.
The Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body is from the highly advanced, enthusiast range of Nikon DSLRs and is the flagship cropped sensor model in the Nikon line-up. With the removal of the optical low pass filter (OLPF) you are able to achieve images with greater detail. The D7100 is a 24.1-megapixel camera with an EXPEED 3 image processor and together they are capable of delivering lifelike and very sharp full resolution stills at 6fps. Other features include an ISO range of 100-6400 (expandable to HI-2 25,600)a 51 Auto Focus points auto focus system (15 cross types), a 3.2-inch LCD with 1,229k-dot resolution, an optical viewfinder with 100% coverage, dual SD card slots and a 1.3x crop mode.
The camera feels well made and solid to hold, I like layout and love the huge screen on the back, which is very crisp and clear for reviewing images. Starting at the top of the camera, the shutter release button is well positioned and has the on/off switch around it. You can also use this switch to activate a light on the cameras top display, which is very useful. Just behind this is a +/- (bracketing) short cut button that allows you to quickly adjust the exposure compensation, while pressing this and adjusting with the rear dial. I really like how customizable this camera is; you can set certain buttons (& pair) to do different things if you wish from the factory default settings. I have found this helps a lot to speed up my workflow when required. I have configured the front dial below the shutter release to adjust the aperture and the rear dial to bracket. This works perfectly for me and again allows me to continue shooting without removing my eye from the viewfinder.
There is also a short cut button to adjust the cameras metering pattern, next to the shutter release and a button to activate, start/stop video recording. As a stills photographer I very rarely shoot video, and to be honest I have not yet done so with this camera.
The top screen tells gives you a lot of info, including, battery power, F stop, shutter speed, memory usage, metering pattern, focus mode/point file format, WB (white balance), ISO and lots more besides, depending what mode your shooting in. I usually use A (aperture priority).  


At the very top of the camera is a hot shoe for an external flash with a very useful pop up flash in front of it. To the left of this is the main control dial and shutter drive mode.
The main control dial has all the modes you would expect to find on a digital SLR including, P, A, S, M, AUTO, flash off and two useful custom modes as well as ‘effects’ and ‘scene’ mode selection. To change modes you have to press a button and then turn the dial. I can see why Nikon have done this to prevent accidental mode change and once you remember to do both it’s not a problem. Positioned below the main control dial is another dial for selecting the cameras drive modes. Once again, to change this you have to press quite a small button and then turn the dial to adjust it. I found this a bit fiddly to start with, but actually like it now I am getting used to it. I now some other professional photographers will laugh at me for saying this, but I actually find some of the effects you can create with this camera useful. As I always say to my customer’s, some scene modes can be very useful especially if you have a mental block and don’t want to ‘miss’ the moment. You can always go back and do things ‘manually’ if the subject is still there! On the effects mode you can select a colour (selective colour) that the camera will register. It takes a bit of practice, but its good fun when it works. For example, you can take a ‘scene’ with a red telephone box that stays red while the rest of the image is black and white.
On the back of the camera, you have the following controls: there is a dial that is positioned perfectly for your thumb while shooting, which you can configure to adjust certain settings; I use mine to make quick adjustments to bracketing. You also use it to make other adjustments to things like WB (white balance) and ISO while holding down the short cut buttons on the rear of the camera. Next to this dial is an AE-L / AF-L button that you can use to lock the focus or exposure. I have set mine to lock the exposure. Next to the viewfinder, there is a small dioptric adjustment dial. I really like the viewfinder on this camera; it is very clear and bright and gives you 100% coverage.
Continuing round the back of the camera you have a play back button and delete button. Positioned around the huge 3.2” screen (the screen is one of sharpest a brightest I have used to date) are the main menu button and shortcut buttons to WB, Qual, ISO. These buttons are dual purpose depending on what mode you’re in (shooting or playback). There are 2 info buttons on the back of the camera one is marked ‘I’ and the other ‘info’ you can use the ‘I’ button to set and assign various camera settings like PV (preview button) mine is set to activate spot metering and the FN (function button) I have set mine to active the on-board spirit level. You can also quickly adjust things like the picture control mode, active D light and high ISO noise reduction etc. The ‘info’ button positioned to the right of rear screen, allows to see at a glance most of the camera settings at any given moment. For example: aperture, shutter speed, frame rate, metering mode, focus point and mode, ISO, battery level, image quality/setting, bracketing and available memory. Although I do most of my adjustments while looking through the viewfinder, I have been using this screen more and more and I find the info it gives at a glance very useful. Most of this info is constantly displayed on the top screen by the way. Lastly, on the rear of the camera you have a LV button and stills or video mode selection switch. Above this, you have a ‘flat’ joystick, this is ok but I do prefer a proper joystick. Mind you, I have a battery grip fitted all the time that does have a ‘proper’ joystick on it. Both of these allow you to adjust/select your focus point from the 51 available either an individual point or you can move the focus point ‘clusters’ depending which you are using  and you can lock them to prevent accidental adjustment. I absolutely love the focusing options this camera offers me including this. In AF-C (continuous autofocus), you have five options, which are, single, a cluster of 9, 21, 51 and 3D. I have used many digital SLR cameras and I can honestly say that the focus system on this camera has blown me away, it’s awesome! Miles better than my beloved Canon 1D MK4, which I never thought they could improve on!
Just below the lens, release button there is an AF on/off switch, which I suppose you could accidentally flick to manual. I have not done this yet, but it could be in a better position. You also use the button in the middle to adjust your focus pattern and mode, this I really like. This allows you to make these changes without removing your eye from the viewfinder, something that I always like to be able to do.
There are two other options that I want to mention here, because I have found them very useful. The first one is the option to create your custom menu, you can’t ‘place’ everything I would like into this but it is a very good idea. The other thing I like is that the camera remembers your recent settings. So, you can choose either this menu or your ‘custom’ settings menu.
Performance and Use
WB
The white balance on this camera is probably what impressed me the most before I moved from Canon. The AWB is very accurate and reproduces what you photograph very well. Yes, you can adjust it and even fine tune it but to be honest I very rarely need to.
FOCUSING
You have probably realised already that I am extremely impressed with the auto focus system on these cameras, it just seems to lock on and does not seem to be as confused as the Canons used to be with ‘busy’ backgrounds or other obstacles while panning. I can now take a whole series of shots (all be it at slower frame rate with this camera) but most if not all will be pin sharp. I used to get very frustrated sometimes with the Canons at the amount of ‘soft’ shots it would return. Don’t get me wrong the 1DMK4 with a 300mm 2.8 L series was very good in ‘servo’ mode but this is definitely better!!
METERING
What can I say, the matrix metering system on the camera is fantastic, far superior and more accurate than anything else I have used/tried to date. It just seems to return constantly correctly exposed images. I did notice the other day while shooting in very contrasty conditions that it did ‘throw’ it a bit, but nothing major and it was easily rectified.
Image Quality
My first shots with this camera were of a Red Deer stag using a 500mm F4 N Nikon MK2 lens hand held in wet and windy conditions. WOW!! The detail is just incredible. If you’re ever in Porlock I have an A2 print of this image that you’re very welcome to have a look at. I must be honest that I have not yet had to push the ISO very high so I can’t really comment on the cameras high ISO ability. Depending on what I shooting I normally shoot in RAW but I have also tried jpegs. Although not a significant difference as you would expect the RAW files are definitely better.
I can’t really tell you how impressed I am with the image quality from this camera. I hate spending to long messing about in front of the computer screen and if you use good ‘glass’ with this camera you won’t need to.
Conclusion
I suspect you have probably already realised that I am very impressed with this camera! I think it offers terrific value for money, while including features that are also found in Nikons more expensive ‘professional’ cameras.
Yes, as with any camera system you need to use the right ‘glass’ (lenses) with it. Which as a professional photographer I have invested carefully in. However I recently had a customer on the course that had one these and was using a Nikon 18-300mm DX lens on it. To be honest the results were amazing (I have since bought my own), I printed an A2 landscape for the customer taken with this set up and I was staggered at the quality it produced!
This combination gives you a very versatile, relatively inexpensive ‘walk around’ lens and camera system.
I will admit that coming from Canon the Nikon menus took some getting used to (Canons are definitely easier) but this camera is very customizable, which I like and I think it’s worth the effort getting to know this camera. My last new Canon camera the 5DMKIII took me about 3 weeks to get set up how I like it and I was never completely happy, this camera took me about 3 days and it’s just great! As I make my living from photography I can’t tell you how many sleepless nights I had worrying about if I was doing the right thing, having used Canon for so long before I took the plunge. I need not have worried at all.
I usually have this camera on me when at the shop in Porlock, so if you’re interested in seeing it or perhaps thinking of buying, by all means pop in. (please ring first, to avoid disappointment as I might be out on a photography course).
Thanks
Jack
Contact Jack for competitive price and stock status
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Megapixels 24.1
  • Sensor Format DX (APS-C)
  • Sensor type CMOS / DX
  • Crop factor 1.3x
  • Autofocus points 51
  • Autofocus system Phase-detection and contrast detection
  • Lens mount Nikon F
  • Frames per second 6
  • ISO min 100
  • ISO max 25600
  • Card format 2 x SD, SDHC, SDXC
  • File formats JPEG, RAW, H.264 MPEG-4 AVC
  • Battery model EN-EL15
  • Battery grip MB-D15
  • Shutter speed fast  1/8000 sec
  • Shutter speed slow 30 sec
  • Screen size (inches) 3.2
  • Screen resolution 1229000
  • Live view Yes
  • VF coverage 100%
  • Metering system TTL exposure metering using 2,016-pixel RGB sensor
  • Exposure modes Aperture-Priority (A), Manual (M), Programmed auto with flexible program (P), Shutter-Priority Auto (S)
  • Flash type Built-in pop-up
  • Flash metering i-TTL
  • Flash sync speed 1/250 sec
  • Integrated cleaning Yes

No comments: